YOGURT APPLE PUDDING WITH CARDAMOM
- 4 cups unflavored yogurt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- 1½ pounds crisp apples (Fuji or Gala), pared, cored, sliced paper-thin and sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent darkening
- Chopped unsalted pistachios
- Small sprigs of fresh mint
In a bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, saffron, cardamom, and cinnamon.
Whisk ingredients until sugar dissolves. Put gelatin in a small saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil and whisk until gelatin thoroughly dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes.
Whisk gelatin into yogurt mixture. Add rosewater.
Layer sliced apples on bottom of a deep 1½- to 2-quart soufflé dish or inside individual serving dishes.
Pour yogurt mixture over apples. Place dish in the refrigerator to cool and set (about 2 to 3 hours). Before serving, scatter chopped pistachios over top. Garnish with mint sprigs.